Andy Biggs is doing a tremendous job in Congress and it came as no surprise that he came up with a genius way to fund the border wall.
As Fox News reported: “A border state Republican congressman is introducing a bill that would effectively use foreign funds to help pay for President Trump’s planned wall on the Mexican border.
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona authored House Resolution 6657, which would establish a separate U.S. Treasury account to “hold deposits to be used to secure the southern border of the United States.”
Republican Reps. Scott Des Jarlais of Tennessee, Ralph Norman of South Carolina, Matt Gaetz of Florida and Paul Gosar of Arizona have signed on as co-sponsors.”
The Washington Examiner had more information on the audacious idea:
The legislative proposal by Biggs, titled the Fund and Complete the Border Wall Act, also calls for full construction to begin next year and for some money go to the U.S. Border Patrol. It suggests these changes and taxes:
- Penalizes foreign aid to Mexico and other countries by $2,000 for every illegal alien that is apprehended. The held back funds are redirected to the border wall fund.
- Charges a fee for all money transfers when receivers are outside the United States. Collected fees go to the border wall fund.
- Increases I-94 fees from $6 to $25. The higher fees fund Border Patrol salaries and the border wall fund.
- Provides regulatory relief from burdensome actions that could be used to prevent wall construction.
- Restores overtime pay for Border Patrol at same rate as all other DHS law enforcement agencies (restoring Fair Labor Standards Act).
Said Biggs in a statement: “Even with a Republican-controlled House and Senate, we have failed to secure the funds for the border wall. In the meantime, our Border Patrol agents suffer demoralizing losses of resources and personnel. Some in Congress view border security as leverage for an amnesty deal, but that would turn a crisis into a catastrophe.
“This is why I introduced the ‘Fund and Complete the Border Wall Act.’ We must keep our promises to the American people. We must fund, start, and complete the border wall without further delay. I encourage my colleagues to join me in support of this legislation.”
Today I introduced the "Fund and Complete the Border Wall Act" to fully fund, complete, and pay for the border wall, while giving Border Patrol agents the resources they need to do their jobs.
STATEMENT: https://t.co/i6rrscpyiI #BuildTheWall #SecureTheBorder pic.twitter.com/lVXAX0Dv1B
— Rep Andy Biggs (@RepAndyBiggsAZ) August 7, 2018